Wednesday, April 28, 2010

6 million steps to Canada.

It's good to be a thru-hiker again.  It's a bit surreal to be starting another long trail, the vibe is much different here than it was on the AT. It probably has to do with my state of mind.
I left out of Hollywood on the 22nd and got picked up in San Diego by Sara and stayed at Scout and Frodos house (trail angels).  Sara drove me to the border and we met up with lots of other hopeful hikers.  There I met Moleman and John, we did a big 20 miles to lake Morena where the big hiker kick off party was being held and spent 2 days there.  Although I just rode my bike across the country, there is no shape like being in thru-hiker shape.  Getting stronger is always an uncomfortable process. 
The sun is hot, the water is scarce, what can I say? It's beautiful out here and I wouldn't have it any other way.

4 comments:

Aliese said...

Good to hear from you. Wondered when you were starting. Let us know if we can get you anything--post some mail drop points when you are able.

Just got a book I think you'd enjoy (you may have read it) K2: Life and Death on the World's Most Dangerous Mountain Ed Viesturs 2nd book. Jim's reading it now and totally loves it.

Stay hydrated! :)

Aliese

e-blanket said...

you don't know me but you met Dani and Greg on your way to Cali and I am good friends with Dani. I hiked the PCT last year and was at ADZPCTKO this year so I probably saw you. Have a fabulous hike! I am jealous but saving up for CDT next summer

Rees said...

Congratulations on biking across country. What an achievement!

Good luck on the PCT, Ryan. Keep on keeping on.

Liese said...

So proud of you, and I miss you like crazy. Keep us updated when you can and most importantly, have fun and let me know when I'll get to see you again!