Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Birds eye view

You can click on the link over on the right side of your screen now to get the google earth files of the Southern Tier and the Pacific Crest Trail. I try not to look at them too much.. I don't want to know everything about the trip before it happens. I'll get there when I get there.

I don't have that good of a map of the Atlantic leg to post yet- I'm really looking forward to that section. Something about getting up early in the morning while it's still dark and watching the sunrise over the Atlantic with the sound of frosty waves crashing against the frozen sand and sleeping amongst the sea oats sounds really great to me.

I went to my Local Bike Shop (LBS) and told Bill, the mechanic, that I was looking for some cone wrenches (used for working on wheel bearings). He told me that there are 36 different sizes! Well, hell. And then he told me that there are over 108 different sizes of seat posts.. So much for standard measurements in the bike industry. Bike parts can go obsolete almost as fast as computers it seems too. I figured it's time so clean my wheel bearings since I've never done it before, its probably due time, and those are parts you definitely don't want to malfunction on a 4000 mile tour. I disassembled my Crank Bros. pedals yesterday to regrease the bearings and found that they where totally shot! They had been rusted out and crushed to a rusty mud colored powder. Time for new pedals, I guess.

No comments: